Party Wall and Neighbourly Matters

The Party Wall etc. Act 1996 gives a framework for the resolution of differences between neighbours regarding particular buildings works, and requires Building Owners (the owners of the property who are having the work done), to notify Adjoining Owners in advance.  In many instances, the parties will reach agreement themselves.  However, if they unable to do so, the Act allows the appointment of a Surveyor for each party, or an Agreed Surveyor, in order to resolve differences.

The type of work covered by the Act includes work to party structures, work to buildings on a boundary, the erection of new walls on a boundary, and excavations close to an existing building or structure to a depth lower than the bottom of the nearby foundations. The Act can give Building Owners rights, including the right to do works to parts of buildings which they may not actually own.

Having worked for some years in London, where the party wall legislation existed before the introduction of the Act, David Muir has experience of resolving party wall disputes for more than 20 years. Construction projects often require access on to or over neighbouring land, and the provisions of the Party Wall etc. Act and the Access to Neighbouring Land Act, are not always available. Assistance can be given to draw up access agreements and crane and scaffolding licences.